102. McDonald’s Store

Daniel Gerber walked to Douglas from the harbor along an Indian trail in 1863 or 1864 and like what he saw. He returned later to open a tannery business on Water Street. Despite many setbacks, he eventually prospered and acquired a large section of Douglas land on which he built a large home at Union and South Streets. Today, he is considered one of the civic-minded founders of Douglas. Just before Gerber’s death in 1890, he built this large brick building at the corner of Spring and Center Streets, known as the “Gerber Block,” which included the “Gerber Hall” on the second floor.
One of the first retail occupants was L.W. McDonald’s People’s Store that occupied the west half of the building from about 1900 to 1912. The east half was the first location of the Norton’s Drug Store. Other occupants included the Fabricated Slat Company, St. Peters Catholic School and Convent (1951-1968), the Saugatuck Township and Interurban offices, Johnny Blue gallery, Lynn Neuman gallery and the children’s book store Cabbages & Kings.